St. Hilda’s School, which is privately owned, was founded in 1891. In 1977 the school became a Limited Company and is now administered by a Board of Governors (see below).
The premises include an adjacent field used for outdoor learning, sport and break times, a tennis court and a small swimming pool, together with attractive play areas for all age ranges. At the time of its Centenary, the school was extended to include a Hall, Nursery and Art Room. The building was substantially improved in 2012-2013 with the addition of a three storey extension that has provided six new classrooms, enlarged classrooms in the centre of the building, a Science Lab and a Computer Suite. A sound-proofed Performing Arts Studio was added on the top floor in 2016, the year in which the School celebrated its 125th Anniversary.
St. Hilda’s is a member of the Independent Schools Association and the Independent Schools Council. In 1981 it was accredited by the Independent Schools Joint Council and gained re-accreditation in 1996. The Senior Management Team consists of the Headmaster, the Deputy Head and the School Business Manager.
The School received an ‘excellent in all areas’ rating in February 2013 by the Independent Schools Inspectorate, and in November 2016 a Focused Compliance Inspection was again successfully passed in all areas. Both reports can be viewed by clicking here.
Board of Governors
|Mary Piachaud (ex-Headmistress and family member)|
|Marc Bignell (Chair and ex-parent)|
|John Hutchinson (family member)|
|Gillian Thornton (old girl and ex-parent)|
|Janet Smith (old girl and ex-parent)|
|Helen Chapman (ex-parent)|